Introduction to Counselling Skills
This course is aimed at individuals who are currently working in a helping role and would like to further develop their skills, or anyone who is interested in learning more about counselling and potentially looking to take the first step towards a new career.
In this program participants will learn the basic skills required to become effective in helping people with their problems, conflicts, decisions, and relationships. Through hands-on exercises and role-play, students will come to understand what is required to become an effective counsellor.
Participants will learn to recognise and develop the qualities required of helpers, and have the skills to build rapport and a collaborative working relationship with clients. The emphasis is on developing practical skills and building your confidence, and understanding some of the core, often complex, issues which are present in the counselling process.
- Understand the importance of establishing rapport
- Have the ability to build a collaborative working alliance with clients
- Demonstrate active listening skills
- Develop awareness of body language and non-verbal communication
- Understand the stages involved in the counselling process
- Have a range of techniques to promote client insight and emotional awareness
- Understand various questioning techniques
- Understand the process of reflective responses
- Develop the skills to challenge clients
- Have the ability to assess the client risk
- Understand the use of solution-focused and problem-focused strategies
- Develop self awareness in the counselling process
|November 14-16 2018
At Full Capacity
|391-393 Tooronga Road
Hawthorn East VIC 3123
Our 2019 course dates are currently being finalised. To register your interested and be notified when they have been confirmed, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cairnmillar can offer these courses for your organisation’s needs. Our consultants can offer these courses in your workplace. Our facilities are also available to run specific education courses.
For further information, email the Short Course Coordinator at: email@example.com
*Terms and Conditions apply, please see Enrol Now page for full details.