Teaches in Psychology
Dr Jon Kettle is a clinical psychologist with many years’ experience in private practice and in mental health agencies. His clinical practice at Cairnmillar focuses on psychotherapy with children, adolescents and adults in individual, couple and family modes. He also has experience as a senior psychologist in the public mental health system with adults with mental health problems, particularly psychosis, mood and personality difficulties, including counselling and supporting their family members, and providing secondary consultation to colleagues and general practitioners. Throughout his career he has held positions at the Saltwater Clinic, Orygen Youth Health, The Albert Road Clinic and in the Department of Psychology at the University of Melbourne. Dr Kettle also provides clinical supervision to staff and students and regularly presents papers at seminars concerning psychotherapy. He is a member of The Freudian School of Melbourne, a Member of the Australian Psychological Society and its Clinical College, and a Registered Psychologist.
Psychodynamic Psychotherapy; Depression, Anxiety and Personality Issues; Psychosis; Trauma and Abuse; Grief and Loss; Recurrent Life Problems; Gender and Sexuality Difficulties; Relationship Issues; Family Problems; Professional Supervision.
Dr Kettle’s research interests include the effectiveness of psychotherapy, how psychotherapy works; treatment of psychosis.
Recent Publications and Presentations
- Kettle, J. W. L. (2014). A speaker’s corner: psychosis and transference. Paper presented at the meeting of the school: The Freudian School of Melbourne.
- Kettle, J. W. L. (2014). Truth and lie in speech for the psychotic. Paper presented at the meeting of the school: The Freudian School of Melbourne.
- Kettle, J. W. L. (2013). Putting one’s foot in it: the effects of the psychotic break on the structure of language and the possibility of treatment in psychosis. Paper presented at the meeting of the school: The Freudian School of Melbourne.
- Kettle, J. W. L. (2012). Lacan: the unconscious, repetition and fantasm. Paper presented at the Seminar of the School: The Freudian School of Melbourne.
- Kettle, J. W. L. (2012). Freud: the unconscious, repetition and death. Paper presented at the Seminar of the School: The Freudian School of Melbourne.
- Bechdolf, A., Nelson, B., Cotton, S. M., Chanen, A., Thompson, A., Kettle, J., Conus, P., Amminger, G. P., Yung, A. R., Berk, M., McGorry, P. D. (2010). A preliminary evaluation of the validity of at-risk criteria for bipolar disorders in help-seeking adolescents and young adults, Journal of Affective Disorder, 127(1-3), 316 – 320.